The original rectory for St Peters stood in the grounds of Tiverton Castle, along with the church itself. During the English Civil War, the castle and many of the buildings within its grounds were damaged or destroyed and the rector in residence at that time, Reverence Richard Newt, returned from travels in Italy to find his house in ruins.
The present Clare House was built in 1816 to replace that parsonage and was occupied by the rectory of Clare, Reverend Henry Then. At that time, Tiverton Castle itself had a moat, the water of which was supplied by the town leat and this water also supplied Clare House.
In 1830, the current market was built on an area which had previously been a public bowling green. Access into the market from Newport Street was established when much of the Clare House garden was taken to enlarge the market grounds.
In about 1924, Doctors Burgess and Perry moved into the house and began to use it as a surgery. These, in turn, were followed by Drs Low, Pembury and Stevenson. At that time, various alterations were made to the house and the basic structure of the rooms as surgeries was developed.
In 2012 the practice started an extensive refurbishment and expansion of the practice to increase clinical space. Concluding in March 2014 the practice now consists of 17 consulting rooms, an operating theater and co-located Superdrug pharmacy as well as extensive administrative space.
2016 marks the 200th anniversary of the completion of the main Clare House building. To mark this anniversary Dr Roger Whittlesey an ex-partner wrote a history of Clare House a copy of which can be downloaded below.