Sick Notes

There often seems to be some misunderstanding over when or why someone needs to obtain a medical certificate from his or her doctor. 

To qualify for SSP (Statutory Sick Pay), a medical certificate is no longer required for absences of seven days or less.

If you are employed and absent from work due to ill health, you should obtain the DSS self-certification form (SC2) from your employer or at the reception desk, or use your employer’s own self-certification form, if available. 

Please note, however, that these are rules for SSP purposes only.  An employer may apply more stringent rules for occupational sick pay purposes.  If you are self-employed you should obtain a copy of DSS SC1

Translate »
Click to listen highlighted text!